James P. Gueits is a partner in the Miami office of ROIG Lawyers.
James advises clients with business interests in the U.S. and Latin America. James has broad experience providing in-bound corporate services to foreign based companies. James regularly represents business entities and their shareholders in transactional matters and complex disputes involving mergers, acquisitions, securities and investor claims.
James has particular experience defending companies operating in foreign jurisdictions and their shareholders against claims asserted in U.S. courts. He has argued complex pre-trial matters involving corporate interests abroad before trial and appellate courts, and tried multi-party corporate disputes involving nine-figure damages to verdict.
James also represents business interests in proceedings before administrative agencies of government involving regulatory compliance and procurement. He has extensive experience handling real estate transactions and has represented lenders and other institutional providers of credit during the documentation of various types of loan facilities.
James has been recognized as a "Top Up and Comer" in Corporate and Business Litigation in the 2017 edition of the South Florida Legal Guide. In 2016, he was honored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as part of the 40 under 40 Outstanding Lawyers in South Florida. James currently serves as a Trustee and Investment Committee Member to the City of Coral Gables' Pension System. He has served in chair and directorship positions on various business-related and not-for-profit boards over the last decade.
James also served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Judge Federico A. Moreno in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Cross-Border Business and Corporate Disputes
- Represented leading distributor of mobile telephones in Spain and Latin America, its subsidiaries and major shareholders during one-month jury trial involving the failed acquisition of a U.S. entity. The trial, conducted partially in Spanish, was the product of nearly a decade of litigation requiring discovery from entities located throughout Latin America, and 30 witnesses from 6 countries.
- Represented Panamanian joint venture entity in
disputewith Spanish investor group.
- Defended Puerto Rico-based financial institution, against claims brought by international diamond brokers involving the breach of credit facility.
- Represented shareholders of international courier business in action by foreign partner relating to investment in Bolivian subsidiary.
- Obtained dismissal of federal securities claims against foreign promoters and domestic
issuerof RegulationD private offering.
- In arbitration proceedings, represented several Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) members against claims arising from the aftermath of the 2008 financial crises.
- Represented America TeVe Network, Inc., and controlling entities in
- Defense of investment fund controlled by
nationalinsurance company in joint-venture dispute.
- Represented private equity fund in
post-mergerdispute involving portfolio company.
- Advised leading Spanish biotechnology firm during
- Local counsel to Puerto Rico joint-venture during
saleof renewable energy assets.
- Represented supplier of nuclear medical equipment in Latin America during
saleof minority interest.
- Represented Spanish entity during acquisition of controlling interest in domestic LLC.
- Advised closely held logistics provider during
saleof controlling interest to Peruvian concern.
- Negotiated distribution agreements with U.S. and Canada based entities on behalf of Spanish concern.
- Established first U.S. based subsidiary
forSpanish construction firm.
- Structured business entities receiving foreign investment connected to EB-5 visa program.
Financial and Real Estate Transactions
- Represented several local financial institutions throughout documentation and closing of
termand revolving credit facilities, including real estate secured and asset-based transactions.
- Represented minority stakeholders in private equity fund during an acquisition of Florida Free Trade Zone industrial park FTZ-32.
- Represented multinational engineering firm throughout various secured loan transactions.
- Represented owners of commercial real estate assets in multiple refinancing of existing credit facilities.
- Represented medical device manufacturer during acquisition of
News & Events
- Twelve ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as 2017 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
June 8, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Sponsors the 2017 CABA Benefit & Installation Gala
January 25, 2017
- Six ROIG Lawyers Attorneys Recognized as “Top Lawyers” and “Top Up & Comers” in the 17th Edition of the South Florida Legal Guide
January 9, 2017
- ROIG Lawyers Miami Partner Recognized as 40 Under 40 by Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
November 3, 2016
- ROIG Lawyers Ranked #1 Law Firm For Hispanic Attorneys
May 19, 2016
- Roig Lawyers Adds Prominent Corporate Partners from Levine Kellogg to Bolster Miami Office
January 27, 2016
- Roig Lawyer Attorneys featured in The Florida Bar News Sections: On the Move/ News & Notes
February 23, 2016
- James P. Gueits Quoted in the Daily Business Review Article "Legal Experts Cautious About Business Opportunities in Cuba"
December 18, 2014