Five defendants arrested on insurance fraud charges as part of the Division of Insurance Fraud’s Operation Cold Call have been sentenced after entering guilty pleas, according to The PIP Source, a newsletter of the Florida Division of Insurance Fraud.
The crimes – which were prosecuted by the 15th Judicial Circuit (Palm Beach County) and the 19th Judicial Circuit (Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Okeechobee counties) – took place in 2014 and 2015. A yearlong undercover investigation turned up illegal activity at two healthcare clinics: Accident Recovery Centers and Active Recovery Centers. Patients were illegally recruited and bills were sent for services that were never rendered.
Here are the five pleas and their punishment:
- Runner Douglas Anthony Santiago was sentenced to three years probation for patient brokering.
- Runner Alejandro Jose Marin was sentenced to two years probation for patient solicitation and patient brokering.
- Attorney Brian Greenspoon was sentenced to 18 months probation for patient solicitation.
- Chiropractor Roger Toby Hughes Bell was convicted of patient brokering and surrendered his license.
- Attorney Cory Meltzer was convicted of patient solicitation and agreed to disbarment.
Two chiropractors are scheduled for trial later this year, while the final defendant is negotiating a plea.